No homeowner wants to see their toilet stop working properly, but it does happen from time to time. Although toilets are quite basic machines, they contain many separate parts which must function together. Otherwise, problems will arise. Some toilet issues have simple fixes that the average DIYer can correct. Others, however, will require the services of a qualified plumber.
To check for a leak, add a few drops of food coloring to the water in the toilet tank, then wait five to ten minutes. If the water in the bowl changes color, that will confirm the leak.
Depending on the severity of the leak issue, these simple steps should help to stop it.
- Find the float arm inside the toilet tank. Raise it and if the water stops running, adjust the screws or floats on the float valve to hold it in the correct place.
- It may be an issue with the intake flow valve, which might need to be replaced.
- The flapper valve and ball stopper should be snug, and the chain connecting the flush valve should be slack.
- If the water is up to the top of the overflow tunnel, it is probably a fill valve issue. It may need to be replaced or adjusted so the water stops flowing into the overflow tube.
The Toilet Isn’t Flushing Properly
If a toilet lacks flushing power, there are a few quick solutions that a homeowner can attempt to fix the problem.
- There may be insufficient water in the tank, so check that first. The water should be within 1-1/2 inches of the overflow tube. The float arm can be bent upwards to allow more water into the tank.
- If the water level is correct, then the tank ball might be dropping too quickly. Raise the guide while keeping it in line with the lift wire. If the lift wire and the guide drop out of alignment, the water will continue flowing into the toilet bowl after it flushes.
- Sometimes the toilet will not flush because of debris buildup around the rim. Use a mirror to find the debris and clean it so the water can flow into the bowl.
Trust [company_name] for All Toilet Troubles
Sometimes even a DIYer or expert family handyman needs an experienced plumber. For quick and reliable repair or replacement of a broken toilet, contact [company_name]or fill out our simple online form.